I often go on treasure hunts in search of old books, scraps of stories, manuscripts and magazines. I am intrigued with both the visual shapes & patterns of letters and words as they scrawl, meander and march across the page… and also with their wider significance. They are story tellers and signifiers, they represent & depict the world out there beyond the page. They are cunning, devilish, candid, true.
The piece is displayed on a quirky, spindly old music stand which took a while to find – but when I saw it, I knew it would be the perfect finishing touch to the sculpture.
See the sculpture being exhibited currently at Debut Contemporary
Check out more sculptural work on flickr
- Charles Dickens statue to be erected against his dying wishes (telegraph.co.uk)
- 062 David Copperfield (rodpfajardo.wordpress.com)
- Charles Dickens Day (margegower.com)
- DAVID COPPERFIELD by Charles Dickens (booksbreeze.wordpress.com)
- 11 words coined by Charles Dickens (theweek.com)