A marvellous experiment has been conducted this week – an exchange of artwork and poetry inspirations with Nilofer Neubert, as part of #OneMillionInspirations. Below you can see the artwork I presented to Nilofer, and the impressive concrete poem she wrote to respond to it. Nilofer kindly featured me on the OneMillionInspirations website ‘BlackVsPurple’, here, delving down to find out what I’m up to at the moment, and discovering what not so many people know, that: “Nicola is also passionate about culture, secrets, fireworks, messages & cats. She collects paper aeroplanes and other people’s words.” (read whole thing).
Nilofer Neubert is an educator, writer and an occasional spoken word poet. She conducts creative writing workshops for children where they use poems, short stories as well as performance poetry to express themselves. She also facilitates writing groups for adults through Writingthecity, Singapore.
She has performed her poetry at various locations in Singapore as well as open mics in England. She is currently working on putting together her first poetry collection as well as starting to write a novel.
THE ARTWORK: RUBIKS CUBE by Nicola Anthony
THE POEM: “WE ARE SLAVES TO THE BOXES” by Nilofer Neubert
I love this poem and the way Nilofer has interpreted it, especially the way you have to search and find your way to get to the next box in order, or just stumble haphazardly through like life itself – sometimes in the wrong order… If you want to become part of #OneMillionInspirations contact them here.
- How to Write a Concrete Poem (poetry4kids.com)
- Simple Tips on Writing Poetry (bkirbykeith.wordpress.com)
- Say the word: London’s performance poetry scene (onefinestay.com)
- “Svevedikt” by Ottar Ormstad (leonardoflores.net)
- Star Magazine Interview | Poetry’s place in the civil rights struggle (kansascity.com)
- The Rose That Grew From Concrete (teensreadinplano.wordpress.com)
- Waiting for September… (roughverse.wordpress.com)
- Proudly Fraudulent: An Interview With MoMA’s First Poet Laureate, Kenneth Goldsmith (theawl.com)
- Poetress (candi990900.wordpress.com)
- Ik ben een jonge Schotse dichter! (ellenmcateer.com)